Monday, September 12, 2011

My car has become my enemy

Hello, 

While I've been happily continuing my foray back into the world, I'm learning that I have a few more limitations. One of them is that time spent sitting in a car aggravates my endometriosis.  I have adhesions on my Illiopsoas muscle, which you can see specifically on the area labeled #2 in this diagram.  Sitting for hours on end in a car causes strain to the muscle, which is in turn aggravated by the adhesions.  The problem is that the adhesions really can't be surgically removed, and even if they are, they will grow back.  So, my wonderful physical therapist worked on the muscle through her lunch hour today and also gave me a great stretch that will help to keep the muscles from spasming.  So, for those of you fortunate to take road trips with me, you'll find me begging you to pull over once in awhile so that I can stretch. 

Unfortunately, I'm still hurting this evening, but between the facts that I have some tools to manage the pain, as well as a break from driving anywhere for a few days, I'm feeling pretty good about the long term management of the pain. 

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment