Monday, August 22, 2011

I think im going to be okay!

Knock on wood. :)  So here's where I stand: I finished the bladder instillations, I'm a couple of months into the Elmiron, and I've started a real workout plan. The last two weeks have been pretty good for me. If you've ever had a chronic condition, you're familiar with the pain scale. I had been living in the 5 to 8 range (0 is no pain, 10 is the worst imaginable). I now stay in the 2 to 4 range, with 3 and 4 being pain levels with which I can completely function. The downside is that I'm still super-tired, therefore forcing me to take on life at a cautious pace. However, I seem to have finally gained the ability to pace myself.

Since I'm on my phone where I can't easily see previous posts, not to mention that my memory is horrible (!), I can't remember if I mentioned these two developments: my MRI showed that I have a herniated disc between my 4th and 5th lumbar, and a nerve in my leg may be permanently damaged.  That said, I've had to be careful with working out. To make sure I'm improving my overall level of fitness, plus taking care of my back, I've been rotating yoga, strenghtening and cardio. My goal is to work out 6 days/week, but I'm starting with 3.

Also of note is that I'm aware of the precarious nature of my health. Unfortunately for me, it means that I can't yet let someone back into my life that has caused me a great deal of unnecessary stress over the past few months (see previous post for more detail). In my world, stress = pain.  I'm just not physically strong enough to confront it right now.

But for now, I focus on the positive.  Remember that song from grade school?

Accentuate the positive/ eliminate the negative/ latch on to the affirmative/ don't mess with Mr. In-between.

That's me!
-S

No comments:

Post a Comment