Saturday, April 16, 2011

Research

Hi.

Today is a pretty rough day for me.  Pelvic pain, Fibro pain and Endometriosis are all competing for my attention. Endometriosis is winning with Fibro pain, specifically in the neck and upper back a close second.

My recent promise to myself was that I would read anything about Fibromyalgia that I could get my hands on.  Now that I've started my research, I've decided to modify this promise.  The more I read, especially testimonials, the more I really, truly realize that there are many things that I am never going to be able to do again.  I think the one that hits me hardest is playing in a soccer league  I played soccer for 15 years, beginning when I was just 4 years old in Appleton, WI.  When my family moved in third grade, the  new friends I made that year were all from my soccer team.  When I moved again my sophomore year of high school, I had a hard time making friends until soccer tryouts that spring, where I became a starter on the Varsity team and made lifelong friends. I was all set to play college soccer, but ended up withdrawing two days before the first practice (I had worked or babysat almost every single non-soccer night since I was 14 and decided that I needed some free time), though I still played in recreational indoor leagues.  In the couple of years between not playing and the beginning of my health issues, I always thought I would play again. Now I'm realizing that my body just can't take the strain. 

So what's the solution?  I'm not really sure yet, but for the moment, I'm letting myself be sad about this for a few days, but then I'll figure out what activities will still suit me (Curling? Table tennis?) and go from there.

Another thing I meant to mention a few posts back was that I'm realizing that I also need to give up attending Aqua Zumba as frequently as I have, if not altogether. Water walking against a current has been really helpful, but dancing in the water just causes more pain than good.  Back to the boring!

And...back to my weekend. :) 
-S

No comments:

Post a Comment