Thursday, April 14, 2011

Ranting and reading

Happy Thursday!

Unfortunately, I was house-bound today becasue I'm still dizzy from the Savella (my new Fibro med that I mentioned in yesterday's post).  And...to rant a little about the healthcare system again...a well-run healthcare clinic is hard to find.  I sorely miss my year and a half with the University of Wisconsin Healthcare system.  I swear that I have never waited more than an hour from a call back from a Doctor's office, and much of the time, it is the doctor that called me back personally.  If not the doctor, I got to speak to a well-informed proxy who takes care of all of my issues in one return phone call.  Back to the rant...I had to call the pain clinic this morning to let them know that I'm still dizzy and unable to walk long distances (as in, further than down the hallway), or safely drive, and that I need to know what I should do next. The thing is, they have a 24-hour callback policy, but are not available Mondays.  Messages must be left by 4pm, so anything that happens after then can't be called in until 8am the following morning. Prescription refill requests are only honored Tuesday-Thursday, and there is a 7 business-day lead time policy that the patient must honor, so Thursdays are crammed with patients trying to get refill requests in on time.  That said, I called immediately after waking up at 11am this morning (I was up until 6am this morning, despite doing everything I could think of to fall asleep) and did not get a call back.  So, by the time I get a call back, I will have missed 4 doses of this medication. Since the prescription has to start at a low dose and step up every couple of days, I'll probably have to start over if the doctor wants me to continue.  How frustrating.  Like having Fibromyalgia (along with my chronic pain and other issues), isn't bad enough!

Otherwise, I've been diving back into reading again lately.  I had a really rough childhood and books were always my escape from reality when I wasn't playing soccer or hanging out with friends.  When all of these health issues cropped up, I wasn't able to read because the pain was too much of a distraction.  Now that some of the pain is under control, I am devouring every book that I've always meant to read but haven't.  Off the top of my head, in the last couple of months I've read:
  • Tuesday's with Morrie by Mitch Albom (I plan to blog about this at some point soon)
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • The first 7 Sookie Stackhouse Novels by Charlaine Harris (The True Blood novels)
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
  • The Twilight Series (Yes, I admit it)
  • Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Let me know if there is something that you think I would like.  Off to bed with me...I really want to read a bit and then will hopefully get a good night's sleep!
-S

No comments:

Post a Comment