Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The new adventures of old Sarah

I'm such a mess. Seriously, a total mess. WRECKED. The last two days brought on the worst back spasms I've ever experienced. I'm not even sure how they started. It could have been a yoga workout that I tried, or painting on a ladder, or moving laundry, or picking up my growing nephews, or just turning my head wrong, but I have hardly slept in the last 48 hours. I tried everything and nothing to fix this spasm, yet it continues to spread.

Today, I finally turned to the source of all knowledge for help: Facebook. I made my plea for someone, ANYONE to share knowledge of how to make the pain go away. My cousin came through instantly, followed soon after by a friend who has unfortunately probably dealt with even more pain than I have in my life. The answer? A raquetball or tennis ball. Since I'm an avid tennis player (when I can be), I grabbed two cans of balls and a gross old softball sock of my hubby's and made myself a back massager. 1/2 an hour later, I realized that there wasn't just one spasm in my back, but several. I couldn't tell where the root of all evil was, so I dropped a quick note to my hubby that said something along the lines of it being neccesary to spend a ton of money for a massage. Let me tell ya, it was worth it! $74.95 after tip for the most healing hour of my life. I can still tell that my back wants to freak out on me, but at least now I know where to put the tennis ball. In the meantime, I chugged down some water and ate some fruit, and now I'm debating whether lying on the wood floor or taking a walk is the right next move to keep this healing train on the tracks.

Otherwise, I feel the feeling creeping back from my last nerve block. That can't be a good sign. I'm hoping that at least holds off until my back is fixed! I've been doing this camp and canoe thing for a few years now, starting the year that my big mess was diagnosed. I still can't believe that I'm about to camp for two nights as the mess that I am. I'm sure there will be a story or two to share at the end of it.

So, I'll end here for now and will hopefully get to the thoughts that have been swirling in my brain and dying to get out for some time in my next post. Curious? I hope so. It's more fun for me that way.

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment