Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Is medicine really a science, or just an expensive form of art?

Hey ya'll.

Well, I'm heading in for nerve block #7 on Friday. I'm hoping for greater results this time because my last week has been really painful--painful to the point that two percosets taken with two strong muscle relaxers and a long, hot bath didn't even take the edge off of the pain. So bad that for the first time in a couple of months, I was curled up in a little ball sobbing and feeling like I would never be ok again. While the nerve blocks have helped with a lot of my pain, I'm still researching other methods of pain relief that do not require hospital gowns, sedation, radiation, and needles shoved through my back. The number of strangers (albiet medical professionals) that have seen me naked in the last few years is definitely in the 100's. Not cool.

Anyway, about the title of this post--I keep going through these blocks, but I've yet to walk away with significant, long-lasting relief. I also get to keep experimenting with different muscle relaxers, creams, pain patches, nerve medications, etc, and just haven't found that right combo yet. My Doc also mentioned the fact that he hasn't brought out "the big guns" yet. I kinda want to see them,even if there is a risk of permanent damage--enough messing around with things that don't work or sort of work.


And of course, Friday night is the ONE night that my sister Zan happens to be in town and the whole fam (minus the ones that don't live here) can get together for dinner. I miss so many things because of this pain. For example, my hubby's bro and his wife were over on Friday for dinner and a bonfire. I made it through dinner and a bit of TV watching, but missed the bonfire portion of the night due to pain. I couldn't even drag myself the 50 yards to my own firepit!!!


Otherwise, I've continued to work hard on putting myself back together. My PT sessions are pretty much over, and I'm continuing my home program of endless stretching and abdominal exercises. My abs are definitely stronger, but I've yet to see even a fraction of an inch drop from my waist!!! I'm hoping that will come soon. In addition, I've finally gotten back into yoga and am just starting to get some cardio in. Thanks to FitTV, I've discovered Bollywood Dance workouts and am having a blast burning calories while I shake it in my living room.

Next time: My story of how riding a bike is NOT like riding a bike and pictures of Jello. Yup---Jello.

Peace out.
-S

No comments:

Post a Comment