Monday, November 1, 2010

The anticipation alone may kill me

Hi folks,

I hope you're all still out there after my absence. I'm glad I shared my raw emotions the other day...I really don't do that very often. But, I'm SO sick of hearing stories about people being treated so poorly in that hospital. I can't even believe how great my current team of doctors has been, especially my primary care physician.

Transitioning to my blog post title now: I saw her last week because I've been having long-standing joint pain that is acting up again. I swear that I've had this pain as long as I can remember, but it's been very secondary to the chronic pain that I've been dealing with for the last few years. Anyway, I finally went to have it checked out and it looks like I'm going to be facing a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. We're just waiting for tests to rule out Lyme disease (highly, highly unlikely), rheumatoid arthritis (very unlikely, though it is in my family), and probably something else that I can't remember. This test was done a week and a half ago and I was expecting to have the answers already. In my former clinic, I would have had to call no less than 5 times, leaving progressively more urgent messages, then get someone on the phone who would tell me that they are looking into it, and then miss the call back and have to start the process over again. They once made me wait 2 weeks to find the results of an ultrasound that showed a tumor had grown 3 cm and needed to be surgically removed!!!!!! When I called my new clinic today, I was thanked for calling, given detailed information as to the fact that one test didn't come back until last night, and that my wonderful doctor was actually typing up all of the results, along with a treatment plan, which would then be mailed to me. I was also told that they like when patients call, that they are happy to speak to me about anything after I receive the letter, and was thanked again. I swear, I sounded like an idiot because I was thanking her over and over and stating that this was a new experience for me! Oh yeah, and did I mention that they offered the flu shot to me instead of telling me I have to schedule an appointment for one. I think I'm in love. :) The moral of the story? Demand better of your health care providers if you aren't happy!

<3 bis_size="{"x":16,"y":602,"w":649,"h":143,"abs_x":181,"abs_y":765}" br="">On a final note, I'm going to join the local Y because they have a lovely warm-water pool and lazy river that I can walk in without putting stress on my body. I'm going to look awesome in a Speedo and swimcap compared to the folks who are probably 40 years older than me in the mornings! Sadly, I can't swim so I'll be walking in water and doing aerobics for now. As wonderful as yoga has been for me, it's not providing the cardio that I really need to be getting.

Results to be posted later on. Please pray for me!
-S

No comments:

Post a Comment